Welcome to A Big Cats Life

A blog about Life, Love, Art and the Pursuit of Happiness

Tuesday

GUILTY PLEASURES, the little things in life.

I remember a time when I went to the toilet or had a shower alone!

I used to hang my first born from the door frame each morning. No, not as punishment or some kind  of cruel torture. It was so I could take a shower in peace. One of the most memorable things about being a new mother was realising that I had no time to myself. Going to the toilet or taking a shower was like setting off a siren, flashing lights and loud voice overs screaming out 'CRY NOW, CRY NOW'.

It is amazing the tricks and resources a new mother can find in order to maintain some semblance of normality in her life. For me the Jolly Jumper was a life saver. I don't know if they are still around, but 15 years ago they were all the craze.

Showers have long been at the top of my list of favorite things to do. Better than therapy really, you can wash that man right out of your hair, you can cry and no-one can tell, you can dispose of a days worth of crap, it eases tired muscles and can make you smell like something far more exotic than you actually are.

Yes, showers are good for all sorts of things, even getting clean,... go figure!

And most of the time these days, thankfully, I even get to have one alone, but not always. My youngest still loves to get in with me and have her hair washed by me. She can do it on her own, but there is something better about it when I do it. Less soap in the eyes, someone to pass her the face washer, someone to scrub her back. I have to admit I like it when someone does that for me too. So who wouldn't be holding on to those pleasures for as long as possible. Smart kid.

Is it still wrong to take a long one though? Is it OK to stop feeling guilty when I have long showers now?

There has been so much rain in this country lately and massive consequences for so many people. It is easy to forget that we still have low water storage, somewhere around 54%. So can we really afford to forget the target 155 litres per person per day just yet?

I am guilty of thinking that we are clear of the draught, and therefore I can have as long a shower as want. I have been hanging out for that to be true. But really, I think we need to have a far more frugal attitude to our resources all round. We have taken this planet for granted for far too long.

So I will keep watering the plants on my balcony with the bucket, and keep sharing my special time with an 8yr old occasionally, and I will have the odd longer shower (on my own) but will aim to keep them short majority of the time.

Can I have a little less guilt with my pleasure this way?

Davia

5 comments:

  1. Just a little post script:
    The teenagers here want to make it quite clear that they are fully independant. No help required. 'Thank you very much mum!In fact could you please just shut the door and stop barging in here.' :D nothing like pay back!
    I would like to apologise for any misunderstandings that may have arisen out of this blog post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you make enough sacrifices in your life, so go ahead and enjoy that shower. I justify my not so water efficient shower head by bathing all four kids at once. *g* Well, they don't actually all fit in the bath anymore. I'll have to find a new excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one squirt baby! Maybe you could put the dishes or some washing (I'm sure you have a truck load of that)in there with them instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard many 80+ year olds sadly tell how their lives have become so isolated and lonely. They go days without anybody dropping in for a visit and they've never felt or been so alone. Your sharing shower memories will keep you company in years to come. Treasure them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks grace, I will, I hadn't really thought of it that way. I do actually know how lucky I am and I would be lost without these moments. It is a sad thing to be alone always. And only difficult to never be alone. Point well made! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete

Share it

Popular Posts