Welcome to A Big Cats Life

A blog about Life, Love, Art and the Pursuit of Happiness

Thursday

When was the last Time you Cried tears of JOY?

'Loving being a parent' is not as easy as many people might think. But I cried tears of joy this week when I finally got that I am doing exactly what I am meant to be doing.

Do you ever have feelings of just not being ENOUGH?
I have spent most of my life thinking I should be something other than what I am, a more successful career woman, more dedicated member of my community, keep a cleaner/greener house, thinner, fitter, prettier, more clever, better artist, better parent, better daughter, save the world........and so on and so on....

No wonder I feel tired half the time. Huge expectations! All heaped on me by.......you got it....ME!

Are your expectations of yourself REAL and ACHIEVABLE or are they crippling you?
I would hazard a guess, that the answer is not sweet! Why is it we have these huge expectations and where do they come from? Our parents? Teachers? Society? We certainly wouldn't knowingly and willing cripple our own children with these expectations,.... would we? I certainly try not to, but maybe I do anyway.

The thing that made the difference to me this week was
teaching my daughter to ride a bike. Whilst doing this I noticed I have been practicing to be what I am right now my entire life, from the time I strapped a shoe box to my bike seat and belted TEDDY in nice and tight for a trip to the Milk bar. To the dresses I made him (yes him) when my grandmother taught me to sew (age 7). To the cubby houses I built from pa's wood pile and to mushy stir fry's I cooked with my first love. It's all practice in the art of living. Yet at some stage I started to believe that I SHOULD Know/Do &Be everything to all people, all the time.

Daily living is simply practicing the Art of Living a life you love.
It is just like falling off a bike, you just pick yourself up and you get back on.
I have now taught 3 children to ride their bikes because I am patient, understanding, creative, persistent and committed.  And today that is totally ENOUGH! Because my daughter smiled and laughed and is announcing proudly to everyone she meets that she can ride her bike ALL BY HERSELF.

When was the last time you cried tears of joy?
When was the last time you gave yourself permission to practice the art of living?
When was the last time you acknowledged yourself for the huge contribution you make? I mean really!!!

Please leave a comment, I really want to know.
Davia

5 comments:

  1. Oh lovely post Davia. I have come to accept that I am not cut out to be a perfect mother; I am not patient and sometimes not understanding of what it is like to be a young child. I can be very selfish of my time. But I am loving, I am giving, I am nurturing and I am teaching my kids that they are important and they can achieve what they want in life. I am hoping that I am teaching them to be good people, to be kind and to be grateful and to be appreciative. I acknowledge that this is what I am going to get done, even if I fall short on some other "motherly" characteristics. My last tears of joy? I think that I tear up whenever my children are nice to their siblings in an unrequested way. It makes me feel like they will be there for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tas. Your tears of joy are well placed I think. I always get a kick out of my kids caring for eachother (and other as well) without promts. Lets me know I'm not doing a crappy job at all:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Q. When was the last time you cried tears of joy?
    A. When I got a guaranteed place in the New York Marathon

    Q. When was the last time you gave yourself permission to practice the art of living?
    A. Ongoing tug of war.

    Q. When was the last time you acknowledged yourself for the huge contribution you make?
    A. Ongoing tug of war ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tug of war or practice in the Art of living a life you love. It is what you choose it to be I guess. Some days are harder than others :)

    ReplyDelete

Share it

Popular Posts